The Office of Facilities Planning & Development is a department of KU Operation and is comprised of architects, engineers, landscape architects, technicians and support staff. FPD provides design and construction services for more than 200 University buildings (10 million gross square feet of space) and over 1,000 acres of University property on the Main Campus in Lawrence, the Edwards Campus in Overland Park, the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center near Yoder and other off-campus locations. (KU Medical Center’s Office of Design, Planning & Construction serves KU’s medical campuses.)
FPD provides several primary services that contribute to the University's mission of excellence in higher education:
- Provides professional project management services to the University for all facility renovations, alterations and new construction, including project planning, budgeting, scheduling, programming, design, estimating, bidding, procurement, construction, inspections, furnishing, facility occupancy, and records management.
- Performs utility locates for University-owned and operated utilities, as-built surveys, and maintains the campus infrastructure master map.
- Establishes and manages design standards for compliance with applicable codes, regulations, environmental requirements, and other standards for construction.
- Participates in campus planning, programming, and project development through collaboration with various departments as well as the Capital Projects Advisory Committee, Campus Historic Preservation Board, and other committees, and in conformance with the Campus Master Plan and other guidance documents.
- Conducts fire code reviews and inspections under commissioned authority of the Office of the State Fire Marshal through the University Fire Marshal Authority, which includes issuing citations and resolving code or life safety issues as necessary.