The Office of Facilities Planning & Development is a department of KU Operations and is comprised of architects, engineers, landscape architects, technicians and support staff. FPD provides design and construction services for more than 200 University buildings with 10 million gross square feet of space and over 1,000 acres of University property on the Lawrence campus and the Edwards campus in Overland Park, as well as the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center near Yoder, Kansas, and other university locations. The KU Medical Center’s Office of Design, Planning & Construction reporting to Facilities Management serves KUMC campuses.
FPD contributes to the university's mission of excellence in higher education by:
- Providing professional project management services to the University for all facility renovations, alterations and new construction, including project planning, budgeting, scheduling, programming, design, estimating, bidding, procurement, construction, inspections, furnishing, facility occupancy, and records management.
- Performing utility locates for University-owned and operated utilities, as-built surveys, and maintains the campus infrastructure master map.
- Establishing and manages design standards for compliance with applicable codes, regulations, environmental requirements, and other standards for construction.
- Participating in campus planning, programming, and project development through collaboration with various departments as well as the Capital Projects Advisory Committee, Campus Historic Preservation Board, and other committees, and in conformance with the Campus Master Plan and other guidance documents.
- Conducting fire code reviews and inspections under commissioned authority of the Office of the State Fire Marshal through the University Fire Marshal Authority, which includes issuing citations and resolving code or life safety issues as necessary.